Reflections on the loch

After seeing David Clapp's Luskentyre rainbow photo, which was taken with a circular polariser, I thought I'd get myself a circular polariser to try one out.
I hadn't twigged that a polariser would work with rainbows.
Managing reflections in camera has always been a problem for me, as you can't do much about them in post.
I'm enjoying taking water pics so much more now, as you can control how much reflection and light scattering you want whilst taking the shot :)

loch_reflections.jpg

Last edited:

davidclapp

Premium Subscriber
After seeing David Clapp's Luskentyre rainbow photo, which was taken with a circular polariser, I thought I'd get myself a circular polariser to try one out.
I hadn't twigged that a polariser would work with rainbows.
Managing reflections in camera has always been a problem for me, as you can't do much about them in post.
I'm enjoying taking water pics so much more now, as you can control how much reflection and light scattering you want whilst taking the shot :)

View attachment 312
I remember the first time I’ve realised you can dial a rainbow intensity using a polariser, I was absolutely staggered! The polariser can also be used to completely remove the rainbow, not that anyone would ever want to do that. It really enhances the refraction. I am always particularly careful when using super wide angle lenses, as it’s very easy to darken the very corners of the picture. It’s worth dialling in a very subtle amount, or taking two pictures, one with more polarisation than another. I much prefer using polarisers on 24–70 focal length and longer. Thanks for the backlink!